Thursday, May 28, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo7L7c53WMQ
needle and the damage done by Neil young

I caught you knockin'
at my cellar door
I love you, baby,
can I have some more
Ooh, ooh, the damage done.

I hit the city and
I lost my band
I watched the needle
take another man
Gone, gone, the damage done.

I sing the song
because I love the man
I know that some
of you don't understand
Milk-blood
to keep from running out.

I've seen the needle
and the damage done
A little part of it in everyone
But every junkie's
like a settin' sun.

In Neil young's "needle and the damage done" The use of imagery is very relevant to his addiction to heroin. He starts off by introducing someone knocking on his door, this is for the purpose of either saying they need money for heroin or they want to do it with him, or in as i found out this could also be the addiction itself a description of the sweetness and greatness of it, because cellar door is the best sounding phrase in the English language, which could translate to the song as what heroin feels like.  Then he mentions how he "lost his band" this could either represent the time in which him and his band broke up or it could be he lost his band, which is a common thing with heroin to pop the vein out when you insert the needle. He goes into the people that he has seen become addicts. Then in the next stanza he goes shows a huge part in how he is addicted, by saying "Milk-blood to keep from running out." this actually means he takes some of his blood because some of the heroin is left over in the blood so it is to keep from running out of heroin, or it could also be to save good blood before he uses the needle. Then the last sentence wraps it up by basically asserting that addicts fade away. This is all in the mold of other songs similar as he has struggles staying away from these drugs. This seems to be the biggest part, obviously, because an addiction means that you have to have and he clearly show this as he describes his constant struggle through the world of an addict. He actually says the damage done, this meaning he knows what it does and what it id to him and how once the damage has been done it cant be undone at least not without time.

No comments:

Post a Comment